View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
[C3, DS] Fix for Body Data Issues with some C3/DS Breeds. 
The Nymph (Administrator)

Player Characters Controlled by this Member: TreeSprite the Nymph
Post [C3, DS] Fix for Body Data Issues with some C3/DS Breeds.
This has been talked about in other places (Most likely on the now annoyingly defunct Gameware Development forums - Couldn't they at least open the forum for viewing for heaven's sake?) but I recently discovered something that I couldn't resist sharing with the community.

It's been a well known problem that sometimes there are errors with the display of certain breeds of creatures that are caused by extra ATT files that have been discovered in the Body Data folders after installation of said breeds. Until now there have been arguments over which breeds actually install these files, because no one could actually pin it down. Many thought that the errors were caused by the installation of the breeds which seemed to be affected by these erroneous files, but there were disagreements due to the myriad number of third party breeds that have been affected by this seemingly random occurance.

For your knowledge of this issue, you need to know that any files in your att folder that are marked with a starting letter of A-N are legitimate files. It doesn't matter why, but if you wish to know in more detail, you can look on this CDN article on Images and Attachments for clarification. Any files starting with letters other than A-N are strictly not necessary, and for some reason can mess with the display of creatures. (Apparently there's a bug in the engine that allows this to happen.)

Most of the time when someone complains of body data issues the culprit is actually a set of ATT files that starts with "z" or with a "$". When you remove those files and then shut down and restart the DS engine you'll find that the body data errors have corrected themselves.

I have discovered today, when clean installing DS and C1toDS to my new laptop, precisely where the "z" and "$" ATT files originate. The "z" ATT files are incorrectly installed with the Treehugger, Bondi, Hardman, and Toxic norn packs. To be certain, it may only have been the Treehugger pack that caused this issue, but I installed all the packs at once so I'm unsure as to which specific one(s) were the cause. I also discovered that the C1toDS windows installer executable incorrectly creates the "$" ATT files during installation of C1toDS. So, there you go, the incredible mystery of the "z" and "$" att's is now solved!

Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:48 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Seed
Seed

Post Re: [C3, DS] Fix for Body Data Issues with some C3/DS Breeds.
What's the significance of the A-N system?

Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:16 pm
Seedling
Seedling

Oh wow! thanks Treesprite, I've been wondering that for ages :)

Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:36 am

Player Characters Controlled by this Member: TreeSprite the Nymph
Wiimeiser wrote:
What's the significance of the A-N system?

The letters A-N signify which creature body part is being referred to by the file. :)

Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:34 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]